This unique airplane flew at 2,000 mph at altitudes that are still classified. With high-tech electronic equipment onboard, it gathered strategic reconnaissance information for the U.S. military for over 25 years. Features: Accurate surface detail, can be built as drone carrier (drone included), waterslide decals.
The SR-71 was developed by Lockheed's "Skunk Works" to replace the U-2 high altitude spyplane which had become vulnerable to interception by surface-to-air missiles. The SR-71 is very fast and with a top speed in excess of 2100mph it still holds many world speed records. In the early '90s the SR-71 fleet was mothballed but several aircraft have been reactivated by the continuing need for a manned reconnaissance capability.
• Markings included for one USAF aircraft.
• 66 parts in black and clear plastic with raised panel lines.
• One piece cockpit tub with separate instrument panels, seats, and seated pilot and observer figures. Optional position canopies.
• Detailed landing gear and wheel wells, exhaust nozzles and intake cones.
• Includes D-21 reconnaisance drone with ground trolley.